[kde-linux] KPPP won't go on the internet

Dale dalek at exceedtech.net
Fri Dec 9 22:45:42 UTC 2005

LMa wrote:

> [...]
> get KPPP to show up to me as a normal user!) and now my last problem
> is: I just can't get onto the internet with KPPP.
> Even though I tried to copy as many settings from Knoppix 3.4 (which
> altogether worked) as possible to solve all other problems, I'm afraid
> with this last problem it was not enough - and I don't know what to do
> next.
>

> Here are the messages I get :
>
> from the connection window:
> (beginning)
> OK
>
> OK
>
> CONNECT 52000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
> (end)
>
> from the "Unexpected ending of pppd" window:
> Code de retour : 1  (it's French - I am French - it means "Return (or
> exit?) code")
>
> and here the actual content of the original logfile:
> (beginning)
> Dec  8 23:43:28 localhost pppd[1774]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself
> Dec  8 23:43:28 localhost pppd[1774]: but I couldn't find any suitable
> secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> Dec  8 23:43:28 localhost pppd[1774]: (None of the available passwords
> would let it use an IP address.)
> (end)
>
> -----------------
>
> And once I tried another setting (which I had in Knoppix 3.4): in
> "pppd (personalized) arguments": "noauth" (with KPPP set GID)
> I then got:
>
> from the connection window:
> (beginning)
> OK
>
> OK
>
> CONNECT 52000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
> (end)
>
> from the "Unexpected ending of pppd" window:
> Code de retour : 2
>
> and as actual content of the original logfile:
> (beginning)
> Dec  1 23:12:37 localhost pppd[1760]: Exit.
> (end)
>
> ------------
>
> And with a final setting still "pppd (personalized) arguments":
> "noauth" but with KPPP set UID (OK, that's the original Debian setting!)
> I get:
>
> from the connection window:
> (beginning)
> OK
>
> OK
>
> CONNECT 52000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
> (end)
>
> from the "Unexpected ending of pppd" window:
> Code de retour : 2
>
> and as actual content of the original logfile:
> (beginning)
> Dec  9 00:19:22 localhost pppd[2282]: using the noauth option requires
> root privilege
> (end)
>
> -------------------
>
> This is the same problem with all of the five ISP's I've tried so far
> (and they all work under Knoppix)
>
> I hope you can make something out of that. I'm also ready to let you
> the groups my user belongs to if that's of any help.

It looks like a config problem to me.  It appears it is exiting with a
error 2, which the man page explains as this:

>        2      An  error  was detected in processing the options given,
> such as two mutually exclusive options
>               being used.

It sounds like you are telling it to do things one way in one config and
another way somewhere else.  I did that once but I can't recall what I
changed.

If you want to really test this, do a pppconfig and set up a account
that way.  When you get it set up, type in pon <name of the account you
set up>.  For the name of the account, let's say your ISP account that
you set up in pppconfig is called "earthlink".  The command would be pon
earthlink.  If that works, poff will tell it to disconnect.  You don't
have to have the name on poff though.

Doing it that way is pretty easy.  The only thing I changed is the login
name, password, and phone number on mine.  I think the rest is default.

Don't get me started on wvdial.  It still don't work here.

Hope that helps.

Dale
:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.

I have four rigs:

1:  Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
2:  Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
3:  Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive.
4:  Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive.

All run Gentoo, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.