[kde-linux] Migrating to kde-3.5

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Dec 9 18:13:16 UTC 2005

I have built aRts, kdelibs, and kdebase from source.  The system seems
to work fine if I create a new user and start kde from that account.

I have a problem with migrating an existing kde-3.4 user.  When starting
up the system, the Kmenu does not find several kde applications,
including kcontrol.  When running kcontrol manually, ther are no options
offered.  kicker also tends to crash when exiting KDE.

I don't mind resetting the desktop and have tried renaming the .kde,
.local, .mcop, .qt, and Desktop directories.  I've also removed the KDE
related files in /var/tmp and /tmp.

When building KDE, I use --prefix=/opt/kde-3.5.0 and I have a symlink
from /opt/kde to /opt/kde-3.5.0.  My PATH, ld.so.conf, manpath, etc are
all set up to /opt/kde.

My question is: How can I get the kicker/kcontrol configuration migrated
to the new KDE properly?

  -- Bruce