[kde-linux] Smoked, more

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Dec 4 16:02:46 UTC 2005

>Login was smoked by a hard restart with some orphaned inodes (ext3).
>
>Login either shows ALL the "users", I mean ALL or none.
>Keyboard sometimes does not work. When it does I can get in as ...
>A failsafe session--all the other choices, kde, gnome, wm, etc, are not shown
>I can get into my kde by running ksmserver.

>kxkb applet is missing. Can be restored by removing and adding a keyboard.
>control/alt F1, etc, work to get to console sessions
>alt F7 to get back does NOT! Kdm, however, is running. To get back, I must
>kill it (/etc/init.d/restart does not know its running!) and then start over.

>kdm.log and Xorg.0.log show no clues. Any ideas about what got messed?

The mixer applet and kmail session did not start either, running:
ksmserver -r.
It worked better without the -r.

I cannot get a root password into any of the configs such as kcmshell kdm.

And .. guess what. I CAN get back to the kde session. By control/alt/F3! (I
have configured the system for only two console sessions.)