[kde-linux] Smoked

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Dec 4 15:51:24 UTC 2005

Login was smoked by a hard restart with some orphaned inodes (ext3).

Login either shows ALL the "users", I mean ALL or none.
Keyboard sometimes does not work. When it does I can get in as ...
A failsafe session--all the other choices, kde, gnome, wm, etc, are not shown
I can get into my kde by running ksmserver.

kxkb applet is missing. Can be restored by removing and adding a keyboard.
control/alt F1, etc, work to get to console sessions
alt F7 to get back does NOT! Kdm, however, is running. To get back, I must
kill it (/etc/init.d/restart does not know its running!) and then start over.

kdm.log and Xorg.0.log show no clues. Any ideas about what got messed?