[kde-linux] Different .kde files for different hosts

James Bigler bigler at cs.utah.edu
Mon Aug 29 20:33:53 UTC 2005

Manuel Amador wrote:
> RTFM
>
> KDEHOME is the wrong variable for this.  Use KDEDIRS and
> a /etc/profile.d script if you want to achieve layered configuration
> based on host name, or the moon phase.
>
> El jue, 25-08-2005 a las 18:37 -0700, James Richard Tyrer escribió:
>
>>Kevin Krammer wrote:

>>>Yes, quite easily.
>>>KDE defaults to .kde in the user's home directory, but will take the directory
>>>the environment variable KDEHOME points to
>>>http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Environment+Variables
>>
>>Yet another reason why we shouldn't store users data in the KDEHOME
>>directory.    Or, perhaps we could also have a KDEDATA directory
>>environment directory and by default they could both be: "~/.kde".
>>
>>Here this user has a problem.  If he has two different KDEHOMEs, where
>>does he put his mail, calendar, etc. data?

I looked through the manual from the KDE help system, and I didn't even see a
mention of KDEDIRS.  The only place I've been able to find it was the Wiki page.
  If you could point to a particular piece of manual that describes what you
mean, I would appreciate it.

If I want my calendar and stuff to be shared (like the alarms), couldn't I
simply create soft links from ~/.kde-host1/share/apps/kalarm and
~/.kde-host2/share/apps/kalarm to ~/.kde-global/share/apps/kalarm?

James