[kde-linux] Different .kde files for different hosts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Aug 26 01:37:49 UTC 2005

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 00:43, James Bigler wrote:
>
>>I work at a place with many varied installations of Linux and conversely
>>KDE. My home directory is mounted via NFS on all these machines, so .kde is
>>shared between them.
>>
>>I'm having problems when I log into another machine that is running a
>>different version of KDE or has a different setup.  For example my
>>workstation has dual monitors while many other machines do not.  The .kde
>>directory gets shared between conflicting versions of KDE and things start
>>to go bad.
>>
>>I was wondering if there was a way to get KDE to look into different paths
>>based on the machine.  That way I could have effectively a .kde-host1 and a
>>.kde-host2 and keep them separate.
>

> Yes, quite easily.
> KDE defaults to .kde in the user's home directory, but will take the directory
> the environment variable KDEHOME points to
> http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Environment+Variables

Yet another reason why we shouldn't store users data in the KDEHOME
directory.    Or, perhaps we could also have a KDEDATA directory
environment directory and by default they could both be: "~/.kde".

Here this user has a problem.  If he has two different KDEHOMEs, where
does he put his mail, calendar, etc. data?

--
JRT