[kde-linux] kde-linux Digest, Vol 29, Issue 24

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Aug 23 13:01:28 UTC 2005

nick gardner wrote:
> I am using suse 9.0 and want to install kde but i
> don't find it and also i want to know if kde can be
> used to program database programs like visual basic 6
> for windows?

Note, please start a new message with a new title rather than replying
to the digest.

KDE is a Desktop Environment, it does not do Database.

To do database in UNIX/Linux you need a real database server program.  I
use MySQL but there are others available which are probably just as good
or better.  You can even install IBM DB2 if you have a large commercial
app, but it doesn't have as much support at the present time.  Then for
simple database operations, you can get a KDE based front end such as:
DataKiosk or use the KOffice app Kexi.  They you will have a setup like
MS Access, but using a real SQL database.  You can also use the database
app in OpenOffice to do database stuff.  If you want to write your own
programs in an interpreted language, UNIX/Linux doesn't have much
support for BASIC.  If you want to do this (to create your own database
programs) I suggest Python.  You would need to install PyQt and/or the
KDE bindings for Python and probably some addons to Python to do SQL.
If you must have BASIC, I think that there are some BASIC projects for
UNIX/Linux and perhaps GNOME was working on that.  Note that you can run
non-KDE apps on the X desktop along with KDE without any significant issues.

--
JRT