[kde-linux] k3b doesn't allow any writers

Steve Evans stevee at gorbag.com
Thu Aug 11 07:15:41 UTC 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 05:49, Rod Butcher wrote:
> I understand this is an issue introduced with the 2.6.8 kernel.. there
> was a lot of talk about the problem and I never heard of a solution. I
> still (with 2.6.13) have to use root to burn cds.
> Rod
>
> Ronnie Betzen wrote:
> > I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix this.  Maybe someone here
> > might have a solution?
> >
> > K3b lists both my cdrom and my cdwriter as readers.  Nothing is listed as
> > a writer.  I've run the setup program and changed the permissions on
> > cdrdao and cdrecord to chmod 755.
> >
> > When I run k3b with root privileges, it works fine. The burner is listed
> > as a writer.  As a user it still shows both drives as reader.  This
> > suggests to me that I still have permission problems somewhere, but I
> > can't figure out where.
> >
> > I'm running Mandriva LE 2005 with a 2.6.8-3 kernel patched for win4lin.
> >
> > I've removed and reinstalled both k3b and related programs and
> > reinstalled them.  It didn't work.
> >
> > Let me know what other information you need.  Thanks very much in
> > advanced for any assistance you can give.

The 2.6.8 and later kernels made some changes for security reasons that
stopped k3b from working as non root, see
<http://www.besttechie.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t134.html>. K3b was
modified to cope with these changes, so for me, using kernel 2.6.12 and k3b
0.11.24, writing works fine as a non root user. From
<http://k3b.plainblack.com/news2> it appears that k3b version 0.11.18
contains the fix. Note that you *will* need to rerun k3bsetup, as it needs to
remove the sticky bit from cdrecord.

The first of my links above also suggests that a new version of cdrecord is
required. I am running 2.01, which works for me.

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:stevee at gorbag.com
                       WEB:    http://www.gorbag.com
Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

2.6.12-gentoo-r6 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux

 08:04:29 up 7 days, 13:27,  5 users,  load average: 3.23, 2.70, 1.90

Darth Vader:
	I sense something. A presence I've not felt since...