[kde-linux] Count idle time...

Pollywog linux-kde at shadypond.com
Tue Aug 9 18:03:53 UTC 2005

On 08/09/2005 05:47 pm, Pollywog wrote:
> On 08/09/2005 05:39 pm, Jonathan Chen (jonachen) wrote:
> > It's worth checking out...
> >
> > But it might be best to find a program that tells me the statistic of X
> > session being idle like the 'w' command.  I wish the 'w' command can
> > detect X session too.  Then I would have working bash script. =(
>
> I just tried something and it worked.  I put a script in ~/bin/kde_logout:
> #!/bin/sh
> dcop ksmserver ksmserver logout 0 0 0
>
> Then on the command line I did this and walked away for 5 mins:
>
> xautolock -time 5 -locker bin/kde_logout &
>
> I returned 5 mins later and I had been logged out of my idle kde session.

I don't know but perhaps the "top" command will give you what you need.
If all you want to do is logout idle users from an X session (I use kdm), you
could do what I did, but put it in the kdm startup scripts so it starts as
the user.  If you want to do the same thing for shells, the idle daemon
(idled) might do it, but I believe idled is no longer supported, so you would
be on your own if you download it.

8)