bringing up status update on Indic localization &other aspects.

Karunakar Guntupalli karunakar at indlinux.org
Thu Jul 1 19:07:26 BST 2021

Hi All,

I am cross posting this on 3 lists, not sure how many folks there are on
each list (more on the at footer of mail).

I will be sending out a couple of mails within the next few days.
- Indic localization status - gives overall status, what happened in past,
current activities if any, trying to get latest status on all languages for
which efforts started  & or are ongoing.

- Standardization of terminology - what activities happened in the past &
what is available and what needs to be done to augment it, and make it
useful for translators. I will be covering more from a Hindi perspective
since, lot of activities happened on that front earlier.

If anyone has any queries on the above two points do let me know.

Regards,
Karunakar

To give some context on the lists.

kde-l10n-hi at kde.org - List for KDE Hindi, created last year after renewed
interest in contributing to KDE hindi localization.
Augmented by this discussion channel -
https://webchat.kde.org/#/room/#kde-hindi:kde.org

indlinux-group  - List for Indic localization discussions since 2000, under
Indlinux project.

indlinux-hindi - list for discussing foss localization into Hindi.
Initially around 2001-2004 there were two lists indlinux-hindi-gnome,
indlinux-hindi-kde , while archives for them still exist, lists were closed
to make it a single indlinux-hindi list.

At some point in 2017/18 due to some update in Sourceforge, which required
re-subscribing to lists, list membership got reset, so only few remained on
the lists.