[Kde-kiosk] KDE kiosk restrictions not working properly

Ákos Bannerth bannerth.akos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 17:49:57 CEST 2011

Hi!

I've been trying to make use of the kiosk framework with kde 4.4.4,
with not much succes.

According to the sources I found on the web, it should be possible to
limit a user's acces by creating a section in kdeglobals that looks
like this:
[KDE Action Restrictions][$i]
action/<key>=false

The problem is, there are a few actions which can be limited as
expected, but most of them have no effect.
For example, when setting the "run_command" key to false, the function
is properly disabled, and cannot be called by using Alt + F2 or the
context menu; but this is not the case with shell_acces, logout,
lock_screen, action/file_open, action/file_exit, and many other keys,
it seems as if these had no effect at all.

My question is, is this likely a problem with my configuration, or is
this a general problem in the newer versions of KDE?

Is it possible at all, to set up a KDE workspace where the user has no
acces to any programs or functions?

---
Akos Bannerth