[Kde-kiosk] Re: README.kiosk for KDE4?

Jim Gosney jgosney at genesco.com
Mon Oct 25 16:04:21 CEST 2010

Hello Pau,

That link with the readme.kiosk points to a KDE3 version of that file.  Is there a KDE4 equivalent of this file?

>>> Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org> 10/22/2010 11:10 AM >>>
Hello,

It's available from
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdecore/doc/README.kiosk?view=markup

Take a look at this thread, too:

http://old.nabble.com/KDE-Kiosk-Maintained--td25922133.html

2010/10/22 Jim Gosney <jgosney at genesco.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> We use SuSE 10.x with KDE3 in our 1500 retail locations for POS machines and
> we are working to upgrade them to SuSE11.x with KDE4.  With the current
> boxes, we use kiosktool to lock down the environments.
>
> KDE4 has kiosktool but it is not as functional as it was in KDE3.  So we are
> experimenting with manually duplicating the functionality.  I have
> discovered that the kdeglobal file exists in both versions' profile paths
> but evidently the keyword structure has changed as well because
> "shell_access=false" (for one example) which prevents starting a shell in
> KDE3 does not prevent it in KDE4.
>
> According to the documentation on KDE.ORG, there was evidently a file named
> README.kiosk that for KDE3 that listed all 120 different configurable
> variables.  Does an equivalent file exist for KDE4?
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
> may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or proprietary
> right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the transmission of
> this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person other than the
> originally intended recipient. If you are not an intended recipient of this
> e-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination,
> storage or copying of this e-mail or the information contained in it or
> attached to it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
> error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by telephone.
> Thank you.

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org