[Kde-kiosk] Expanded Shell Variables in /etc/kde4rc

Reinhard Hennig reinhard.hennig at ofd-z.niedersachsen.de
Mon Jul 26 08:53:16 CEST 2010

Hi !

We are using kde3.5.10 on 12.000 Workstations with Restriction to the
Desktop. To provide user-and location-specifiy configurations we
made special settings in /etc/kde3rc like this:

[Directories-default]
prefixes[$e]=<Path_2_Server>kde/profiles35/${LOCATION_TYPE}/${USER_TYPE}

LOCATION_TYPE and USER_TYPE are set in ~/.profile

The Path for prefixes will be expanded at Runtime so the user gets his
KIOSK-Profiles at Login-Time dynamically expanded. The variables  This
has worked fine in KDE 3.5, but doesn't seem to be working at KDE 4.4
any more. As far as I know, KDER-configuration statements habe changed
in KDE 4.

How can I use this feature in again KDR 4 ?

Thanks in advance for any help

  --
Reinhard Hennig
Oberfinanzdirektion Niedersachsen