[Kde-kiosk] Kiosk not able to change Kmenu on Centos5.3

Nick Hall nick-h at moving-picture.com
Wed Sep 16 18:33:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

We have around 250 workstations running Centos 5.3 (ie. RHEL 5.3). Many
of our users run KDE-3.5 and I am trying to create a locked down desktop
(no apps with root access, custom shortcuts, custom screensaver, etc).

Question 1:

I have installed Kiosk on my machine to build a profile, however any
changes I make to the KMenu don't get saved. Other changes like the
panel and desktop background do work. The kiosk profile is saved to a
local disk with 777 write access. (/disk1/custom-kde-profile)

I read from another post on this list that in Centos4.7 Redhat merge
their own applications.menu into the default one using a file in
/etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu However this file has dissappeared
in Centos5.3 so I'm not sure that is the issue.

Could it be because the above profile is not in any of these paths?

kde-config --path xdgconf-menu
/usr/people/systest1/.config/menus/:/etc/kde/xdg/menus/:/etc/xdg/menus/

kde-config --path xdgdata-apps
/usr/people/systest1/.local/share/applications/:/software/mpc/config/kde/kde33/share/applications/:/usr/share/applications/

kde-config --path xdgdata-dirs
/usr/people/systest1/.local/share/desktop-directories/:/usr/share/desktop-directories/

I have tried to setenv KDEDIRS, and also XDG_DATA_DIRS and
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to this temp area, but it seems to have the effect of
nuking the  systems wide paths and leaving only the users paths. I.e.
setting the above give these results:

kde-config --path xdgconf-menu
/usr/people/systest1/.config/menus/

kde-config --path xdgdata-apps
/usr/people/systest1/.local/share/applications/

kde-config --path xdgdata-dirs
/usr/people/systest1/.local/share/desktop-directories/

Is this the issue does anyone know?

Question 2:
Assuming I get the above fixed, the how-to's I've read have all been a
bit wooly on how to actually deploy a custom desktop across multiple
machines. Ideally I would want the profile to reside on a shared NFS
server accessable to all machines, and then add a path to KDEDIRS or
some such (which I can change globally) so it gets picked up. Is this
possible, or do I need to install Kiosk on all machines?

Sorry if these are basic questions!

Cheers
Nick