[Kde-kiosk] KDE Kiosk Maintained?

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sun Oct 18 12:02:18 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Valerio Pachera <sirio81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/16 Ian Elwood <ielwood at internationalrivers.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to check in with this list to see if the KDE Kiosk program is
>> being maintained
>
> I made the same question and, unfortunatly, the answer is no.
> I was looking for a program like kiosk but I didn' t find anything yet.

Let's see.

Kiosk mode is supported but you will need to manually edit
configuration files. It has been supported since day one in KDE 4.x.

You probably are talking about Kiosk Tool, the application that makes
easy to configure kiosk mode. The answer is 'no', there is no Kiosk
Tool for KDE 4.x. Ian Geiser started a port of Kiosk Tool to KDE4
(it's available from
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/sysadmin/kiosktool/ ) but it
does not work. It might work on OpenSuSe but it definitely does not
work on Debian, Ubuntu or any other Debian-based distribution.

In fact, KDE 4.4 will bring KAuth, which may replace/complement Kiosk
Mode. I don't really know the details but here is more information:

http://drfav.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/tokamak-kauth-into-kdelibs/
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/60151
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/namespaceKAuth.html

The guy developing KAuth is Dario Freddi, you'll probably want to ask him.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org