[Kde-kiosk] kdeglobals and kmail

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Thu Jan 11 16:58:25 CET 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 14:59, subbukk wrote:
> On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:10, Richard Dale wrote:
> > But we don't have a kmailrc config file in the profile, only a
> > kdeglobals. And it seems there is an unexpected interaction between
> > kmail saving and restoring mail accounts according to whether the
> > profile has kdeglobals or not.
>
> When a user saves kmail settings, it gets saved in
> ${KDEHOME:-$HOME/.kde}/share/config/kmailrc. Check permissions to ensure
> that the file is writable by that user. Then check if there are any
> kmailrc in the paths listed by "kde-config --path config"
> and make sure they dont have $i flag set.
>
> Use:
>   kreadconfig --file kmailrc --group 'Account 1' --key Name
>
> and repeat with kdeglobals, /etc/kderc and system.kdeglobals to check if
> any of these are overriding your settings.
>
> I find it easy to login as root and use the short cut:
>
>  su -c "kreadconfig --file ....." someuseraccount
>
> to check all user accounts.
Yes the kmailrc in the home directory is writeable and you can define and save
account settings in there. However, when you log out and then log back in for
the next session, those account settings are not read in by kmail. When you
log out again they are lost completely and the kmailrc file is reset.

However, when the kdeglobals file is removed from the profile, that behaviour
no longer occurs. To me it looks like a bug in kmail in kubuntu breezy that
we are using.

-- Richard