[Kde-kiosk] [scratching an itch] kdekiosk package: time to remove it?

Federico Zenith zenith at chemeng.ntnu.no
Thu Oct 19 11:15:03 CEST 2006

Alle 10:56, giovedì 19 ottobre 2006, hai scritto:
> Federico Zenith wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am referring to this subfolder of l10n/templates/messages in trunk:
> > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n/templates/messages/kdekiosk/
> > (Ie. NOT to the extragear-sysadmin project)
> >
> > This project has a grand total of 13 messages, yet it represents an
> > entire package in trunk. As the files show hardly any activity since over
> > 16 months (and did not have that much even before), I would assume the
> > project is dead. Was it a precursor to kiosktool in extragear-sysadmin?
> > If the project is not dead, shouldn't it be moved to a more sensible
> > location (like a playground or kdereview?)
> >
> > The project kdekiosk refers to is KiOSKE, which has not seen any
> > development in the last 17 months, except some routine/automated
> > maintenance. http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdekiosk/kioske/
>
> I haven't used it myself (yet, it's still in the long pipeline), but I
> know that at least many LTSP* setups use KDE in kiosk mode. I don't know
> if this is the particular app they use for it, but I'd guess it is. Or
> has it been superseded by some other app doing the same, only *better*?
>
> That not much development is being done on an app, doesn't mean it's
> unnecessary or unwanted. Perhaps it's perfect or as good as it gets
> already? I'd say keep it, until/unless it *is* superseded by something
> better.

Yep, I agree. My point is that it really looks like kdekiosk is being
developed in extragear-sysadmin, and, even if it were not, it does not make
much sense to have a top-level folder for so few PO files, when the
application could instead be placed in some extragear or playground.

I CC to the kde-kiosk mailing list, they are probably best suited to explain
the situation.

Cheers,
-Federico