[Kde-kiosk] Kcontrol - Stage 2

linuxgirlie linuxgirlie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:35:41 CET 2006

Hi,

For a little bit of history, I have done alot of locking down with kiosk
within Mandriva 05/06 and now for speed and update reasons we are now moving
to PCLinuxOS. I work in a school and we are moving our PC's to Linux, I have
noticed with PCLinuxOS that there are a lot more features to lock down, I
think this is because it uses the latest version of kde, but I digress....

My question is, I have finally gotten KDE locked down as much as possible
accept kcontrol. If I delete it from the menu using menudrake it stops
working all together for everyone, including root. But if I leave it there
users can change thier settings (only until they log off, but thats not the
point) I have tried allowing kdm and kcmshell to be executable by root only,
but it doesn't seem to take notice of this, I assume it is sudo'ing?? I have
also tried to [$i] files in kiosk/skel now this causing problems such as the
theme not working and other things breaking (I assume this is because
certain things need write access to the config files on a user level?)

So I am writing this...lol...to see if anyone out there has a way around
this.

Many Thanks,

Jo