[Kde-kiosk] Newbie stumper -- preventing users from exiting a kisok browser

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 18:47:42 CEST 2006

Darrell Eifert wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I'm trying to set up a simple KDE based kiosk for our library on-line
> catalog using Kubuntu Dapper.  Although I have minimal experience with
> Linux, it seems from my reading that a KDE environment would be ideal
> for this sort of thing.  With that in mind, I would like to see the
> following things happen at boot time:
>
> 1) automatically log-in to a restricted or basic user account
> 2) automatically run Konqueror or Firefox and point to our on-line
> catalog home page - our catalog is a plain-vanilla set of HTML pages.
> 3) only allow access to the on-line catalog and a handful of selected
> database sites
> 4) prevent any other application from running
> 5) prevent users from exiting the catalog, while enabling a staff
> shut-down via password
>

> Thanks to all who respond.

We're using Firefox with the r-kiosk extension.

Alt-f4 will allow you to exit firefox, but we've got keyboards without
F keys for normal use and plan on a USB keyboard for staff use to
close or restart.

we've built the web application with kiosk use in mind so it has easy
navigation and a meta refresh that takes it back to the home page
after 3 minutes inactivity (via an interim page in case someone is
just slow...)

you might find this useful:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/616/
Auto Reset Browser :: Mozilla Add-ons :: Add Features to Mozilla Software

R-Kiosk:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1659/
R-kiosk :: Mozilla Add-ons :: Add Features to Mozilla Software

similar keyboards:
http://www.cyberd.co.uk/hardware/kioskkbd.htm

hth

--