[Kde-kiosk] kde menu restrictions not working

MICHAEL MELLING mellingm at postmaster.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 15:03:53 CEST 2005

hi there,

Our school is about to use a KDE desktop our computer room this year at our school. Obviously I need to make group restrictions for pupils with KDE Kiosk admin tool.

I have the following problem - Kiosk is not registering the KDE Menu changes I make.I need to make a simple uncluttered menu as this is being used by children as young as 4.

I have attempted to delete unnecessary games and  other item menus in kiosk mode to make the desktop very simple for them. However when i log in as a user who is part of the pupils group the KDE menu does not reflect any of the changes I have made and just reverts to the orginal default menu. It works for all the other restrictions.

Just for the record. The desktops are fedora 4 (thin client) and we use KDE 3.4.0-6
I noticed there is indeed a file with the restictions I made in the
etc/kde-profile/profile1/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
profile1 is the profile assigned to pupils.

Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know where i am going wrong.

Thanks in advance

Mike.