[Kde-kiosk] Kiosk intro

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 26 22:55:46 CEST 2005

Martijn,

Op woensdag 26 oktober 2005 22:45, schreef Martijn Klingens:
> The most common two use cases are kiosk setups (like internet cafes, point
> of sales systems and other dedicated systems) and corporate desktops.
>
> Both share the fact that lots of settings need to be predefined by the
> admins and/or locked down. The difference is that kiosks often run only one
> or two apps that are almost completely locked (even without kicker and
> kdesktop running), while the corporate desktops are more open and only lock
> certain aspects (like company wallpapers to avoid explicit images). Some
> companies go further in making sure all desktops are roughly identical to
> ease support calls, but as far as I know most leave users a reasonable
> amount of freedom.

Don't forget to mention schools next time.  Kiosk is very usefull for schools
and kids are the future.  Teach them kde and hopefully they will use it in
the future in companies.  However, kde does not provide the MSN gimmicks and
locks many teenagers into MS!

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless