[Kde-kiosk] Trouble w. KDEDIRS on KDE 3.4.3

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Tue Oct 25 15:43:08 CEST 2005

Martijn Klingens <klingens at kde.org> writes:

> On Monday 24 October 2005 15:03, Erik Forsberg wrote:
> > Martijn Klingens <klingens at kde.org> writes:
> > > No, it's deprecated for profiles, but very valuable for debugging and as
> > > such still exists and hopefully will remain even in KDE 4 and beyond.
> >
> > I hope so. What would the alternative be, if I want to select profile
> > running as the "destination" user?
>
> What exactly do you mean by that? Having a script run as the
> destination user to select the profile?
>
> If so, you can use $KDEDIRS for that, but I recommend against it, as it's
> fairly trivial for a user to modify the environment and launch binaries with
> elevated privileges.

It is trivial, but it's "secure enough" for my application. I'm not
providing Kiosks, I'm providing Linux desktops for regular and known
users, using Kiosktool to do some basic configuration and lockdown.

> > > There could also be a /etc/kderc or similar overriding your $KDEDIRS.
> > > What's the output of 'kde-config --prefix'?
> >
> > user200 at dhcp-254-169:~$ kde-config --prefix
> > /usr
>
> Looks ok, weird.
>
> If you strace program startup, does it try to open files from your profile?
> Does it try to read $KDEDIRS at all?

If I do a strace when running konqueror, it does read from my profiles
directory.

This is indeed weird.

\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Cendio AB                    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00