[Kde-kiosk] KioskTool on x86_64 Suse9

Michael Manke manke-m at stegl-zehl.verwalt-berlin.de
Tue Nov 15 11:08:45 CET 2005

On 17. May 2005 you wrote to kde-kiosk mailing list:

> Is anyone using KioskTool on SuSe Enterprise 9 x86_64?  I have a Novell RPM
> on it, but it does not have full functionality.  Applying settings to the
> Group level is not working for me.  Nor is the KMenuEditor changes that I
> make.
>
> I tried building it from source, and I'm getting QT3.0 not found.  I get
> this when trying to configure any KDE applications.  I have QT3.2
> installed, and qt-mt installed, and yet it continues to complain.
>
> So, please help if anyone has been through this?  The author doesn't seem
> to want to help.

Hi John,

Have you a solution now or additional experiences?

I use a "Open Web Access"-Server (like Citrix, but OpenSource: SLES9 SP2,
Nomachine NX, KDE, KMail, Konqueror, Acrobat Reader, OpenOffice, Cups and
some little other KDE programs) to provide secure Surf&Mail for more than 700
users and I use KIOSK 0.9 (from Suse 9.2).  It works good and stable on
HP Compaq DL380 G3 3,1GHz, 4GB RAM, SAN-Storage (up to 85 users/server at
the same time).
OpenOffice 2.0 an Adobe Reader7 are the only non KDE programs, the users get.
The Desktop, Panel, Proxy settings, Konqueror
settings, usable programs are immutable.
No I started with my second server: HP DL385 - Dual Operon in the same
configuration. I copied the KIOSK-settings (profiles) from the x86 Server and
all settings  are applied to the users of the restricted group. But, if I
want to do some special changes in KIOSK at the new server the savings don't
work and the fish command seams not present.
My workaround is to prepare the KIOSK-Profiles on x86-server and send them
(ssh) to the AMD64. It's not a problem for me because of equal configuration.
Are there any other experiences?

Regards

Michael Manke
IT15
Bezirksamt Steglitz-Zehlendorf von Berlin
Schloßstr. 80
12154 Berlin
Tel.: +49 30 90299 3260
Fax.: +49 30 90299 3988