[Kde-kiosk] how to force users to log into KDE (modify KDM menu)

Mr Wiggles astalavista.box.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:25:48 CEST 2005

I am still curious to know what the solution at hand was if anyone is
able to convince oswald to share the wealth of knowledge I assume he
has (though I have no evidence to support this assumption).

However so that I can move on with my project I was forced to find my
own solution.

Rather than lead someone in circles and bury it in a document online
somewhere that people can be told to go look for, I am gonig to post
it here so that other people can quickly find their solution and those
following the thread can pass it along to future individuals looking
to accomplish this same thing.

I took the .desktop file (found in
/opt/kde3/shared/apps/kdm/sessions/) from one of the sessions which is
not being displayed (due to the tryexec parameter coming back false)
and copied it in the same folder it currently resides in to
custom.desktop, default.desktop, and failsafe.desktop.

I imagine you could also create empty files in this directory called
the same thing and only put one line in them "tryexec=blahblah" and as
long as blahblah does not exist they will not show up, however i have
no tried this.

Now it appears that because KDE can only find one session available it
does not even present me with the Session Type menu.

Thank you for all your help Martijn, Waldo, Thiago and Russell.