[Kde-kiosk] Some problems with the Kiosk framework

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Jan 25 11:03:49 CET 2005

On Monday 10 January 2005 00:19, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
> Hi, I've been working in a Web kiosk installation using the KDE Kiosk
> framework, and I've had some problems restricting access to some
> componentes.
>
> I would like to know if there are a "good way(TM)" to do it or if it will
> be fixed otherwise.
>
> I had three problems:
> a) Disable completely the print system
> I wanted to disable completely the print system, I was able to remove it
> from Konqueror menu's and actions, but the "Print" dialog still appeared
> when I clicked in a javascript:window.print() URL.
>
> I've restricted:
> action/file_print=false
> action/file_print_preview=false
> action/printFrame=false
>
> and tried to restrict several print KActions but the dialog still showed
> up. At the end I hided the dialog using print/dialog=false and set a dummy
> default printer in .lpoptions. But I think it should be easy to remove
> completely the access to the printing system.

Not possible at the moment, I'm afraid, but I will let
javascript:window.print() look at action/file_print for KDE 3.4

> b) shell_access is used for both opening konsoles and launch files
> in .kde/Autostart/
>
> I didn't want to allow users to open "konsole"'s so I used
> shell_access=false, but then KDE refused to run the files in
> .kde/Autostart/ because it checks for the shell_access action with
> authorizeKAction(). I think they should be different actions. To solve this
> I just removed konsole from the system.

Well, shell_access=false disables running arbitrary programs, and programs in
~/.kde/Autostart are pretty arbitrary. The solution is to put a .desktop file
in ~/.kde/share/autostart instead, or better, in the share/autostart
directory of your profile.

> c) "read-only" bookmarks
> I wanted to have "read-only" bookmarks and I couldn't do it.
> I have:
> action/bookmarkToolBar=false
> action/bookmark_add=false
> action/folder_new=false
> action/add_bookmark=false
> action/add_bookmarks_list=false
> action/bookmark_edit=false
> action/bookmarks=true
> action/newbookmark=false
> action/newfolder=false
>
> The bookmark toolbar in Konqueror is shown, and it shows the Add
> Bookmark..., New Bookmark Folder ... entries. Allowing users to change the
> bookmarks.
>
> To solve this I modified some files in kio/bookmarks/ and recompiled
> kdelibs, but it should be also possible as it's a common thing in web
> kiosks.

Will fix that for KDE 3.4

bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian at suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html