[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Jan 22 00:00:37 CET 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 18:20, Murray Trainer wrote:
> Basically - the groups command give correct results and your program
> doesn't.  It appears to remember the old values - could it be a problem
> with your C code not reallocating the memory that it stores the results
> in properly or something like that?  But why only for LDAP groups?

We're talking about separate invocations of the program, so this cannot be
possible, at least not if the security model is anything sane :)

Somehow the information seems cached, but where. getgrnam is a really old
standard Unix function, so if it doesn't work properly on a correct setup I'd
be mightily surprised.

That said, this is not my code, and this is not an area on which I have expert
knowledge, so I really can't comment more on the matter than just this.

> One question I have to ask is has the Kiosk tool been tested to work
> properly using LDAP elsewhere?   Everything else is my LDAP setup seems
> to be working fine - it is only the Kiosk tool having problems.  I still
> think it is worth looking at the source code of the groups command as
> that does the right thing.

It probably is, but I am not sure if I'm the right person to do it. If nobody
steps up I'll try it somewhere next week, but my time is even more limited
than normally for the next two weeks, so I'd much prefer another volunteer,
sorry...

We'll see :)