[Kde-kiosk] Some problems with the Kiosk framework

Isaac Clerencia isaac at warp.es
Mon Jan 10 00:19:43 CET 2005

Hi, I've been working in a Web kiosk installation using the KDE Kiosk
framework, and I've had some problems restricting access to some componentes.

I would like to know if there are a "good way(TM)" to do it or if it will be
fixed otherwise.

I had three problems:
a) Disable completely the print system
I wanted to disable completely the print system, I was able to remove it from
Konqueror menu's and actions, but the "Print" dialog still appeared when I
clicked in a javascript:window.print() URL.

I've restricted:
action/file_print=false
action/file_print_preview=false
action/printFrame=false

and tried to restrict several print KActions but the dialog still showed up.
At the end I hided the dialog using print/dialog=false and set a dummy default
printer in .lpoptions. But I think it should be easy to remove completely the
access to the printing system.

b) shell_access is used for both opening konsoles and launch files
in .kde/Autostart/

I didn't want to allow users to open "konsole"'s so I used shell_access=false,
but then KDE refused to run the files in .kde/Autostart/ because it checks
for the shell_access action with authorizeKAction(). I think they should be
different actions. To solve this I just removed konsole from the system.

c) "read-only" bookmarks
I wanted to have "read-only" bookmarks and I couldn't do it.
I have:
action/bookmarkToolBar=false
action/bookmark_add=false
action/folder_new=false
action/add_bookmark=false
action/add_bookmarks_list=false
action/bookmark_edit=false
action/bookmarks=true
action/newbookmark=false
action/newfolder=false

The bookmark toolbar in Konqueror is shown, and it shows the Add Bookmark...,
New Bookmark Folder ... entries. Allowing users to change the bookmarks.

To solve this I modified some files in kio/bookmarks/ and recompiled kdelibs,
but it should be also possible as it's a common thing in web kiosks.

BTW, I have uploaded to Debian kiosktool packages from Pedro Jurado Maqueda,
they will be soon available.

Best regards

--
Isaac Clerencia <isaac at warp.es>