[Kde-kiosk] RES: Restricting KDM

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Aug 19 09:48:00 CEST 2005

On Friday 19 August 2005 01:37, Rodrigo Pinheiro wrote:
> Hi list again.
>
> thanks for your tips !! its really worked to me !!
> I've one only question about this:
>
> I did not understand it "1) remove (=hide) all session types but one"

That's the more complex part. What you should do is creating .desktop files
for each entry that contain the two lines

[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true

This way the files shadow the defaults and the corresponding entry gets
removed from the menu. When all entries are gone the menu will be gone too.

The trouble is twofold: first you need to figure out where to store the
shadowed files. The default is $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/sessions, but if that
doesn't work you need a bit more magic to figure it out. The attached e-mail
may give a hint or two.

The second problem is that you also need to get rid of the builtins. To do so,
just create .desktop files like above with the same name (failsafe,
default, ...) and those entries will automagically disappear as well.