[Kde-kiosk] A nice uniform desktop for all users...

Daniel Bertolo Daniel.Bertolo at kinderheim-buehl.ch
Thu Sep 16 13:00:52 CEST 2004

Am Do 16.09.2004 12:34 schrieb Verner Kjærsgaard <vk at os-academy.dk>:

> > > Experience taught me to stick with standard. So
> > > SuSE9.1/KDE3.2.whatever
> > > it'll be.
> >
> > Ever had problems updating KDE on SuSE using the supplementary
> > updates from
> > YOU (as described)? We updated all our desktops to KDE 3.2.3
> > (including the
> > ones in our school) without any problem. On my reference machine, I
> > updated
> > to KDE 3.3.0 (uninstall KDE-SuSE first) which I will deploy by the
> > end of
> > the month. Go ahead and give it a try. As far as I know, you need at
> > least
> > KDE 3.2.3 in order to use the kioskadmintool (which is actually
> > great).
> >
> > Yours,
> > Daniel
>

> Thank you for the advice - I shall indeed try it out on a fresh S9.1
> machine.
> This leads me to just one question; "uninstall KDE-SuSE first...", but
> how-to? Should I jump to runlevel 3, go root and fire up console YAST
> and
> from there de-select (i.e. uninstall) all of KDE?

No, you just have to delete one single package which is called
kdebase3-SuSE. This contains some SuSE "enhancements" to KDE (the SuSE
K-Menu button, the SuSE theme etc).

Afterwards add another installation source in YaST which contains the
supplementary KDE packages
(ftp://your-mirror-here/path-to-suse-mirror/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.1).

Afterwards go to "Install software" in YaST. Now, you will find the
updated packages. In graphical mode they appear blue.

Yours,
Daniel