[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool: One user, multiple profiles?

Erwin Roth e.roth at visionalive.de
Sun Sep 12 13:29:40 CEST 2004

Hi Erik,

> Hi!
>
> Currently, as far as I can see, one user can only use one profile
> created by Kiosktool at a time.
>
> For example, if I create one profile where I edit the menu and remove
> everything except the "Internet" folder, and another profile where
> everything except the "Office" folder is removed, my test user only
> gets one of the folders, even though the first profile is assigned to
> the test user, and the test user is a member of a group that is
> assigned to the second profile.
>
> The functionality I'd like is to have different profiles that can be
> applied to one or several groups, and then each user will get the
> combined settings of all the profiles that match based on the user's
> group memberships.
>
> I don't think it's possible with kiosktool now? Will it be possible in
> the future?

It's already possible to stack profiles, however not with the Kiosktool GUI.
You can do it by hand e.g. in the /etc/kde-user-profile file. Just seperate
the desired profile names like this:

[Users]
user3=profile1,profile2

And yes, as seen in another post: profile-group assignment in 3.3.0 seems to be buggy.

Shell expansion is also working. Here an example to stack profiles in kderc:
[Directories-default]
ProfileDescription=Default profile
ProfileInstallUser=user1
prefixes[$e]=/etc/kde-profile/$(/usr/local/bin/loc.sh),/etc/kde-profile/group1/

Waldo did a great job! The framework is quite powerful.

> I understand that there are difficulties - if the background color of
> two profiles differ, and a user is assigned to both, which background
> color should the user get? Perhaps by assigning priorities to each
> profile, one could solve that problem?
>
> \EF
> --
> Erik Forsberg                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
> Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com

Best regards,
Erwin.

--
VisionAlive GmbH              Kometstrasse 1a
Erwin Roth                    85368 Moosburg