[Kde-kiosk] Re: Locale locked by Kiosk Tool?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Fri Sep 10 08:49:50 CEST 2004

Martijn Klingens <klingens at kde.org> writes:

> Although I'm a native Dutch speaker I use the C locale exclusively
> as do most IT professionals in Holland,

Heh, I'm a native Swedish speaker, and I too use the C locale
exclusively. The error messages are always more confusing in swedish,
and you can't google on them with the same success :-).

My users however, that's another story..

> so I don't know, but does
> $LANG follow the same naming convention as the KDE language setting?

Not really. The KDE syntax is:

[Locale]
Country=sv
Language=sv:SE

LANG is normally set to "sv_SE" or "sv_SE.iso8859-1" or something
similar.

> If so, you can just set
>
> [Locale]
> Language[$e]=$LANG
>
> You can even lock it for your users with
>
> Language[$ei]=$LANG

Very good idea! Although it's perhaps not the most elegant solution, I
can definitely set some other environment variable to a KDE-parsable
value, which will solve this problem.

Thanks!

\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com