[Kde-kiosk] Re: kde-kiosk Digest General help

Paul Higginbotham LPPHIGGP at gw.njsp.org
Mon Oct 25 21:22:50 CEST 2004

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:18:33 +0200
From: Waldo Bastian <bastian at kde.org>
Subject: Re: [Kde-kiosk] General help
To: kde-kiosk at kde.org

On Friday 22 October 2004 16:49, Paul Higginbotham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but we're setting up a kiosk for the first time
and
> I've never used the tool before. The help file is not there,  (SuSE
9.1)
> and I'm not sure how to set this up exactly. For example, do you set
it up
> in the existing profile you wish to lock down, or does creating a
profile
> actually create a user account ?

You create a profile in kiosktool, then (with YaST for example) you
create a
new user, and then in kiosktool you assign the profile to the user.

Make sure to use the lastest kiosktool instead of the one that comes
with SUSE
9.1. Also make sure to adjust your startkde script as kiosktool will
tell
you.

A couple of questions :  Can you create a profile and apply it to an
already existing account ?
What exactly does the "Install as" do ?  Is is just asking for
sufficient rights to do some setup and create directories/files, or does
it mean that's the username that's going to be created to match the
profile ?

Thanx again