[Kde-kiosk] kiosktool and Mandrake Menus

Marc DeTrano marc at gridshield.net
Mon Nov 22 16:46:34 CET 2004

I am using the kiosktool with a Mandrake 10.1 and LTSP system.  The
kiosktool is a great solution for creating and managing terminal
clients--thanks to all who are developing this!  I ran into some
problems getting the kiosktool menu-editing to work with Mandrake's
setup.  I was able to get a partial workaround in place with a couple of
symlinks:

ln -s /etc/xdg/menus/applications-mdk.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

ln -s /etc/kde-profile/{profile name}/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
/etc/kde-profile/{profile name}/etc/xdg/menus/applications-mdk.menu

I can now edit and commit the menus, but some other things (like
"disable all apps that require root access") still are missing.  I am
just wondering, can "hooks" be incorporated into this project to allow
distro-specific customization.  I would then hope that the folks at
Mandrake could build a kiosktool setup to work smoothly with their menu
customization.

Thanks again for a great utility.

Marc