[Kde-kiosk] temporary switching off kiosk restrictions via hotkey and special kiosk password [auf Viren überprüft]

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 13:22:19 CET 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 12:55, Reinhard Hennig wrote:
> Hi everyone !
>
> We are planning to use a restricted KDE-desktop on linux for up to 12000
> users.
> A useful feature for us might be to implement a temporary switching-off
> kiosk-restrictions.
> This would mean, kiosk restriction can be switched off during a session
> using a special hotkey that causes a popup window requesting a special
> "kiosk password" that might be different from the systems root password.
> After having finished  your work a special hotkey should reactivate the
> restrictions again.
> This feature might be helpful for diagnostics because it enables a shell
> for the administrator or developer if shell access is forbidden.

If you have write access to /etc/kderc, it's possible to lift the restrictions
for a specific user. Unfortunately this change is unlikely to get picked up
by already running applications.

If all you want is a shell, it's easier to just prompt for a password and
start a shell from a shell script. Something like:

$crypted_pw=$(kdialog --password pw |
			perl -e  'while (<>) { print crypt($_, "xx")."\n"; }')

if [ $crypted_pw == $yourCryptedPw ]; then
	/opt/kde3/bin/konsole
fi

You can use khotkeys to bind the script to a hotkey.

bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian at suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html