[Kde-kiosk] How to remove certain menues from KDE

Damir Dezeljin programing at mbss.org
Wed Jun 30 17:55:59 CEST 2004

Hi.

I'm setting up  machine running FedoraCore 2. This machine will be used as
'public' PC in a hotel reception.

I used the KDE Administrator guide and lot of Googling to lock down the
desktop as much as posible. Unfortunately I was unable to lock down the
KDE dekstop as I wanted.

I encountered few problems:
- I can't remove the 'System Settings' and 'Preferences' menu from start
  menu in my FC 2 installation;
- I was unable to lock down (remove items from) start menuglobaly. For
  this reason I had to use menu editor from the target user and later
  change permision of ~user/.config directory so that it is writable only
  by root.

Any sugestion how to solve above issues?

Is there any detailed documentation of KDE-Kiosk API (settings) - The
Administrator guide don't describe all the options that can be used?

How can I logout an local loged in X user from an SSH session on the
machine (so from another machine)?

Is there a way to just lock the screen of localy loged in user?

Regards,
Dezo