[Kde-kiosk] Can KDE be configured not to copy DesktopLinks?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Tue Feb 10 09:53:50 CET 2004

Hi!

Normally, files under /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/DesktopLinks/ are
copied to a new users Desktop directory the first time KDE is run. At
least what I can see, though I didn't find any docs that describe this
behaviour, only a mailing list post.

Anyway, I'd like to create several different desktops using the
KDEDIRS mechanism. Most often, I don't want the entries my Linux
distribution puts in /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/DesktopLinks. Can I
configure KDE either not to copy the entries in some easy way, or to
hide entries which has a specific name.

I tried to put a copy of a .desktop file found in DesktopLinks into
<prefix>/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop, with Hidden=true set. <prefix>
is used in my KDEDIRS (KDEDIRS=<prefix>:$HOME/.kde), but that didn't
work, the icons still show up which is probably an effect of the fact
that $HOME/.kde has higher priority here.

Can I solve this problem without removing the .desktop files from
/usr/sharE/apps/kdesktop/DesktopLinks? If possible, I try not to
modify/remove files that are rpm/deb-handled.

\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com