[Kde-kiosk] newbie

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Dec 24 15:49:59 CET 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 16:58, Romeo Theriault wrote:
> Thank you Martijn, The reason that I said it was buggy was because I'll
> set up the user account the way that I want, then I'll log out and log
> in as root and use the kiosktool to lock down there account.

And there's the problem :)

KioskTool operates on the profiles in /etc/kde-profile (the default) or any
other directory that you specify, and *NOT* your own customizations in
~/.kde.

What you should do is to move all settings files from ~/.kde to the profile
before you start KioskTool. Ideally you should probably use two user
accounts, one for creating the initial template and one for evaluating the
result.

I agree that this is not really intuitive, especially since KioskTool doesn't
have a GUI for importing settings. If someone has enough spare time to
implement it I'm sure that Waldo will accept patches :)