[Kde-kiosk] Easy Open Source Internet-kiosk for a laptop machine?

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Fri Dec 10 12:47:54 CET 2004

Fredag 10 december 2004 12:11 skrev Otto Kekäläinen:
> Hello!
>
> I'm setting up a few laptop machines as Internet-kiosks for a small café.
> The machines should run 100% Open Source (and be proud of it :)).
>
> Any ideas where I could find a fairly complete software project?
>
> I'd rather not spend too much time tweaking it.. The first machine is a IBM
> thinkpad with 128 MB RAM, 500 MHz P3 processor and wlan.
>
> I want a system that is:
> -fast and easy to use for the customer
> -secure and reliable (needs minimal administration)
> -www-browsing is the primary use, and Open Source software demos would be a
> nice addition
>

> I was thinking of a Debian system installed from some live-cd with good
> hardware detection + kde-kiosk, but is that really optimal considering the
> overhead KDE/XFree86 needs and the slow bootup Debian has?

Hi,

in my openion, you should not install any or nearly no sw on the laptops at
all (!)
- if you need to, boot from the hd (any small, quick linux will do), modif
your /etc/inittab into querying your XDMCP server which then will give you
your standard login to KDE or whatever. This way the resources are needed on
one big machine (1 CPU, 2G mem) - and you've got one to maintain.

- this setup is quite possible to do in a day or so. And all (kiosk) tweaking
is done at one and only one place; your central server.

- I've done this a few times(schools), it works like a breeze.

(in etc/inittab do: "1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/X :0 -query IP_OF_YOUR_SERVER")
Setup your server to allow XDMCP access. Do that (SuSE)
in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and /etc/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/rckdm

best regards,