[Kde-kiosk] Classroom control

Christopher Dawkins kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:10:15 +0000 (GMT)

> Let me explain then :)

Many thanks!

> $KDEDIRS are the locations where KDE looks for KDE things.
> If $KDEDIRS isn't set it defaults to the (single) location specified by
> $KDEDIR.
> If $KDEDIR isn't set it defaults to the location that was used when builidng.
> (Usually /opt/kde)

On our FreeBSD, in /usr/local/bin.

> There is also $KDEHOME which is the directory where KDE saves its settings. If
> $KDEHOME isn't set it defaults to ~/.kde.
>
> And then there is also $KDEROOTHOME which is where KDE saves its settings when
> it is running as root. (Defaults to ~root/.kde) This latter one is there to
> make sure that when you run a single KDE application as root it doesn't try
> to save files as root under the $KDEHOME directory of the user.

Many thanks. $KDEDIRS is now working! Well, mostly. If I delete
~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc, anyway. It's was wonderful when it first
appeared with the right settings! But there remain many puzzling things.
Some of them may be due to me getting lost while exploring so many test
users and variables, so many different logins in different windows!

First, kpersonalizer keeps popping up when not wanted (all is OK if
I quit and "revert").

So, if I delete kickerrc and set $KDEDIRS to point to ~kdelock1/.kde I get
the ~kdelock1 settings - WONDERFUL!! (though with an unwanted
kpersonalizer). But if I delete kickerrc and don't set $KDEDIRS (no
$KDEDIR either), I get a kicker bar containing a nice alternative
arrangement I made yesterday. The problem is

      (a) it isn't the original default
  and (b) I can't remember where I set it up
   so (c) I have no idea where it comes from!
  and (d) I can't alter it!

It's driving me wild! Almost exactly what I want (similar to the
arrangement I have in ~kdelock1) but out of my control!

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex  CM6 3JG
01371-822698, mobile 07816 821659    cchd@felsted.essex.sch.uk