[Kde-kiosk] What I have left! (I think)

Bill Kendrick kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:14:34 -0800

Well, the upgrade from 3.0.5 to 3.1 has certainly caused a lot of things
to suddenly work the way I had hoped! :^)

You've all no doubt noticed by countless e-mails since last night,
asking about certain details I've had trouble with.  All in all, though,
I'm much closer to having a working, locked-down kiosk than I was a week
ago.  Thanks to everyone for their hard work and help! :^)  I love KDE!!!

Anyway, I thought I'd share my list of things to do before I consider the
system completely locked down.  (Everything else I wanted, that's not
listed below, seems to be working as I need it!  One day soon I'll
post a list of the exact things I've got working, too.)

Clock Applet
  - Disable any configuration or settings options

Embedded Kate
  - Disable configuration option

KDM
  - Remove text-console option
  - Figure out why sometimes KDM login dialog comes up, even when
    it should magically log in as the passwordless default user
    (which it does on boot)

Kcalc
  - Simplify interface (get rid of scientific and computing stuff),
    or replace entirely with a simpler calculator application

Konqueror
  - Keep unknown mime-types from prompting about saving or opening
    the file.  (Just complain and don't let them do either)
  - Disable the 'browse filesystem' icon (little blue folder)
    in "Open Location" dialog.  Filesystem can't be browsed
    ("permission denied"), thankfully, but at that point, what's
    the use of the button, other than to irritate or confuse? :^)
  - Disable changing text completion settings in "Location:" field

I _think_ that's it, on the KDE side of things!  On the general Linux side,
I need to disable all but one (Ctrl-Alt-F1) text console, set a better
root password, and make sure any external (e.g., SSH) access is set up
with reasonable saneness.

With all this, I'll have a nice Linux-based kiosk capable of browsing
web pages, viewing PDFs and TXT files, and running a calculator. ;^)

--
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick