[Kde-kiosk] Can one have multiple kdeglobals files?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 13:01:31 CET 2003

On Tue December 23 2003 12:16, Russell Brown wrote:
> Sorry to bang on about this Waldo but I still don't get it:  Which is
> the 'most global' and what rules determine that?
>
> Consider this boiled down example:
>
> 	KDEDIRS=/PathOne:/PathTwo:/usr
> 	/PathOne/../kdeglobals:
> 		[KDE Action Restrictions]
> 		shell_access[$i]=false
> 	/PathTwo/../kdeglobals:
> 		[KDE Action Restrictions]
> 		shell_access[$i]=true
>
> kreadconfig returns true for shell_access.

/usr is the most global one.
$KDEHOME is the most local one, followed by /PathOne

> This appears both wrong (why isn't /PathOne the most global) and
> counterintuitive as shell_access was set a) false and b) immutable in
> the /PathOne kdeglobals file.  This *will* confuse others.
>
> I guess I can imagine how the code is written (stop searching when you
> find an immutable) but this doesn't seem quite right.
>
> If this is how it's written and the logic in the code is itself
> immutable :-) then can I change the question?
>
> How can I achieve a layered kdeglobals system so that I can have a
> standard kdeglobals file that is immutable and then have the ability to
> do local tuning without changing either my standard or the distro
> kdeglobals file?

You can't. When you want to do local tuning you will need to leave those parts
mutable in your standards kdeglobals file. I understand what you try to do
and I see the value of that so I'll see if I can come up with something to
allow that for 3.2

The point is that it should not be too easy to circumvent immutable settings
by adding extra paths to $KDEDIRS.

> QuidProQuo:  Waldo, when I understand this I'll try to write an
> explanatory note showing how to use layered kdeglobals files and send it
> to the kiosk list so anyone else as dumb as me may not get so confused
> in the future :-)

Yay, docs!

- --
bastian at kde.org -=|[ KDE: K Desktop for the Enterprise ]|=- bastian at suse.com