[Kde-kiosk] Session Type in KDM

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Apr 20 01:25:11 CEST 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 01:49:07PM -0400, Gary Greene wrote:
> As soon as my exams are finished I'll be working on themeable KDM's

given that you're the third one promising it, don't take it personal if
i don't believe you'll actually do it. ;)

> I'll add an option

that's a bit against the idea of theming (one can simply use a
theme that does not offer the combo at all), but makes sense if you want
it dynamically switchable like you suggested below.

> to the control center module to remove the combo,

given that much more important options still have no entry in the
control center, i have strong feelings about adding it there.
feel free to change the kcontrol design in a way that makes extending
kcmkdm without making it completely unusable, though. :)

> but I'll make a set of "magic keys" (like Alt-W or something) at the
> greeter to show it so that the system admin can get a choice if they
> want it.

that's in fact quite a good idea ... that also solves the problem that
adding combos for language selection and Xserver options selection would
bloat the gui - just make them invisible in the default setup and add
toggles to the menu. the language selector could additionally get a
button with some flags on it to be obvious.
the second approach is cde-like: put the options directly into the menu.
that makes the combos being toggleable superflous, as they aren't in the
way in any case.

greetings