[Kde-kiosk] Our kiosk is live!

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 13:39:11 CEST 2003

On Friday 18 April 2003 22:23, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>   * Scroll wheel doesn't work
>     (When I set it up, they gave me a two-button mouse.  It's been set up
>     with a wheely mouse, though, so it'd be nice to get the wheel working.)

Add the following line to your mouse settings in XF86Config to enable the
wheel in X/KDE:

  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

(Assuming it's a 2-button mouse with the wheel being 3rd button when pressed.
Otherwise you may need to map buttons 5 and 6 or so to the Z axis.)

>   * Needs more RAM!
>     (It's only got 48 or 64MB of RAM, and could definitely benefit from
> more!)

I hope it's not up to kde-kiosk to solve that for you ;)

> Other than that, I think it's good to go!  I encouraged them to do a full
> backup of the hard disk, "Just In Case."  I'm not sure if they did or not,
> though.

You did make a tarball of the system before you shipped it yourself I hope?

The good thing about Linux is that you don't need full-blown disk images and
that a tarball plus a rescue cd is enough to fully restore a system, even on
a different harddisk :)