[Kde-kiosk] Creation of menu structure

Ragnar Wisloff kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:35:36 +0200

I'm trying to understand how the menu structure gets created in KDE 3.x,
on a RHL 8.0 system, and hope that someone on this list could help me.
It's not strictly limited to a kiosk environment, but certainly related.

There are .directory files in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files that seem to
have a bearing on what gets created in /var/lib/menu/kde/Applications,
and the contents in that directory, symlinked to
/usr/share/applnk-redhat is what get displayed in the K-button menu. It
seems that a program desktop-create-kmenu sets up the contents of the
menu, but I can find no documentation for it. It gets called by the Red
Hat version of the startkde script, but not in the KDE clean version of
startkde. Or maybe I'm mixed up.

What bugs me is how the menu structure is decided, because not all the
files in desktop-menu-files translate to a menu category. I have a
feeling this is all distro-specific, is that correct?

Is this documented somewhere? I'm keen to understand it, and willing to
read :-)

--
Med vennlig hilsen
Ragnar Wisløff