[Kde-kiosk] KDE File Associations

Annemieke den Teuling kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:50:18 +0100 (CET)

> On Monday 25 March 2002 13:45, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> > I am using KDE 2.2.1 and I am having a problem associating .doc files
> > with StarOffice 5.2.  Where is this information stored?  I think that I
> > am missing a piece of the puzzle since the Mimelink stuff doesn't
> > mention an application to execute in order to open the file.  I guess
> > that I should also have mentioned that using the file association t
> > seems to work from some users but not others
> >
> > Basically, what file(s) need to be edited to associate files with
> > programs so that, for example, .doc files will be opened by StarOffice
> > automatically?  Can this be set on at the system level or is this
> > something that needs to be set for each individual?  Thanks!
>
> I think you could just add 'MimeType=application/msword' to the
.desktop file
> of StarOffice. After that either log in again or run 'kbuildsycoca'
from the
> console to update the System Configuration Cache.
>
> But I'm sure Waldo knows much more about the mime type handling :-)
>
> Martijn

Indeed, for known applications it is enough to put it in the
$kde/share/applink/*.desktop file.
For unknown applications (for example open-office *.sdc or *.sxw,*.sxc,
etc) you need to make an entry in mimelnk.
Example:*/share/mimelnk/application/x-calc.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=OpenOffice Calc
Hidden=false
Icon=