[Kde-kiosk] locking things down

Janyne Kizer kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:58:07 -0500

Unfortunately I need to have my servers ready before KDE3 is likely to
be out of beta

This is what we are experimenting with now.  It may be way off base so
please excuse me:

Set things up
- remove screensavers from share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/ and
/usr/bin (leaving Blank Screen)
- set up the KMenu the way we want in /usr/share/applnk directory and
the /etc/X11/applnk/
- copy the Star Office 5.2 menu items to
/etc/skel/.kde/share/applnk/staroffice_52
- copy appropriately tweaked files to /etc/skel/.kde/share/config
(kcmartsrc, kickerrc, kpersonalizerrc)
- tweak $KDEDIR/share/config/kdesktoprc, $KDEDIR/share/config/kdeglobals
- remove klipper.desktop from /usr/share/autostart/

Lock them down
~/.kde/share/config <- chmod 444 *
~/.kde/share/config <- chown root *
~/.kde/share/config <- chgrp root *

chmod 555 ~/.kde/share/applnk/staroffice_52/
chmod 555 ~/.kde/share/applnk

Basially, on the menus, we just don't want people to be able to write to
the applnk directories (except for the Star Office mini-install).  We
want users to get the menus and kicker that we deliver.  I don't
particularly care if they customize their desktop a bit though.  For
example, we may want to allow some changes in the ~/.kde/share/config
directory, though.  For example, changing backgrounds, putting icons on
desktop.  That's pretty much it though.  I guess after writing this I
should change the permissions on kdesktoprc :-)