[Kde-kiosk] Is there anybody there? :-) [RFC]

Sean McGlynn kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:36:26 +0000

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 06:20, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 04 March 2002 07:55 pm, Sean McGlynn wrote:
 <snip/>
> > (providing they use the standard KConfig method of accessing config
> > info)?
>
> If they don't use KConfig they shouldn't call themselves a KDE application
> :-)
True :-)

> > I tried Konqueror and this seems to be the case. Or is it only apps that
> > have been amended in some way to take notice of the new KConfig setup?
>
> No, the only thing that still needs to happen is that applications become
> aware of it and e.g. remove any "configure" menu's. Because it doesn't make
> sense to show a configure menu-item if the configuration isn't going to
> stick anyway.
Gotcha.

 <snip/>
> > Also, Janyne wanted to lock down the K menu. Is there a config file I
> > missed somewhere that would allow this, or is it a matter of trying to
> > lock down the $KDEHOME/share/applnk directory in its entirety, by making
> > it read-only in some way (ACL's or whatever). What's the plan for
> > implementing immutability of directories; another *rc file or an option
> > group in kdeglobals perhaps?
>
> Good point, that is still missing. (Those releases always happen sooner
> than I expect.) I was thinking about an option group in kdeglobals.
Sounds simplest.

> > > There should also come some sort of GUI tool to set this stuff up
> > > somewhen.
> >
> > GUI's are good :-) The busy sysadmin doesn't want to play around with
> > dozens (hundreds?!) of config files if they can help it.
>
> Yes, the idea is that you should be able to lock down most things in
> kdeglobals.
Fine. I had a quick play with locking down the full kdeglobals file with [$i]
placed at the top. I was a tad suprised when it restored a default panel for
me and started KPersonaliser though! I guess tweaking it correctly would
produce the desired results.
I also couldn't get the number of desktops locked down, either by locking the
whole kdeglobals file or just the [Desktops] group or it's 'Number' variable.
Although the file stays intact, the number of desktops during the session
gets set to whatever you amend it to. When you end the session and restart
though, you get the 'locked' number of desktops back. Is there another config
file controlling the number of desktops?

> > I had a look at enterprise.kde.org but I felt it was more for the "end
> > product" rather than the nitty gritty of configuration, with no
> > disrespect to Jono. I was thinking more of a dedicated "this is how you
> > do it" site, without anything else to distract. White papers etc. would
> > still be put on Jono's site though of course. Put it another way, I think
> > of
> > enterprise.kde.org as being for CEO's and other suits, whilst I envisage
> > kiosk.kde.org as being more for sysadmins and other lesser mortals :-) If
> > you still think Jono's site would be best though, I'll contact him.
>
> I don't mind either way, it's just that the section with related websites
> on www.kde.org starts to become rather large. What about a section "KDE for
> admins" on www.kde.org?
I'll have a think and another look at Jono's site.

> > > I would love to hear improvement suggestions from projects like these.
> > > (Which reminds me, I still need to add a "No custom wallpaper" switch
> > > for the City of Largo :-)
> >
> > Doesn't locking down kdesktop achieve that?
>
> Yes, but what they wanted was that users could still pick their own
> wallpapers from the list, but they shouldn't be able to download them
> themselves from the internet. Something about people getting upset when
> they notice inappropriate wallpapers on city-owned computers.
> Cheers,
> Waldo
Cheers,
Sean