[Kamoso] Re: Kamoso UI contribution

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Jan 7 00:12:09 CET 2011

2011/1/6 Andrew Lake <jamboarder at gmail.com>

> Alex F and Alex P,
>
> This is a follow up to our offline email exchange.
>
> Thanks again for your work on Kamoso and I'm looking forward to
> finally having a solid KDE webcam app!
>
> I've attached a before and after screenshot of the proposed minor UI
> updates mentioned in the email as well as a patch.
> I've provided a summary of the rationale for the changes.  (It is not
> intended as a criticism of the UI - just rationale meant in a
> positive, constructive sense.)
>
> Screenshot before:
> http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?e3a04d49a9.jpg
> Screenshot after: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?458e04776c.jpg
>
> A quick summary of the rationale for the changes:
> It appeared that the proximity of the mode buttons to each other,
> along with the white space, provides sufficient information to imply
> that they are functionally related.  So it seemed reasonable remove
> the visual groupbox which seemed to have a relatively low information
> value.  The same goes for the groupbox on the right.
>
> The groupbox in the middle surrounding the trigger button was removed
> since it also appeared to have a relatively low information value as
> it only contained 1 item.  To reduce the number of visual
> alignments/"lines" vertically, the trigger button is now anchored to
> the horizontal center of the camera image and the button groups to the
> right and left edge of the camera image.
>
> Since one of the primary use-cases is for the user to take a
> picture/pictures/video, it seemed like the trigger button needed the
> highest interaction impulse - so all other buttons were switched to
> autoraised toolbutons (the icons by themselves probably provide
> sufficient interaction impulse). This leaves the camera image and the
> trigger button(as well as the image strip) as the primary interface
> elements supporting the primary use-cases.
>
> If you welcome these changes, I'd like to solicit feedback from small
> selection of our KDE usability folks for this before final submission.
>
> Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions!
>
> peace and much respect,
> Andrew Lake

On one hand I like to see you interested in Kamoso development, :) it's good
to see some hype.

Regarding the change, I actually like to have these buttons grouped in some
way. Probably a group box is not the best way and we should find another one
but we need some definitely. If you check other similar programs, there's
always some link between these buttons. People get distracted from the UI
relations quite easy.