Attorney-client agreement

Micah Ritchie melanie @ cfgt.com.au
2015年 9月 29日 (火) 12:50:41 UTC

It went OK. The court understood that it may be that you might not have much relevant
information but he couldn't rule as a matter of law that you had no relevant information
and did not need to appear. However he ordered the other side to make clear when they were
going to call you and provide information on that so that you are not standing around
waiting to be called. He also made it clear that I preserve my right to object to their
questions on grounds of relevance, so, you need to be available on Monday or Tuesday the
29th and 30th to appear but I will let you know as we get closer what time and day.
We will also need to prepare for your testimony the week before.

With regard to the other motions, the court ruled that they cannot present any evidence as
damages of costs incurred or the fee received while Gary Ferguson was representing the
Grover's. That is pretty good ruling.

As to many of the other issues he simply punted them for trial, preserving our arguments

The only issue that we need to discuss is the Court's willingness to consider their claim
for breach of contract. The court is going to allow them to assert a claim for breach of
contract.  The Court indicated that it was a close call, but they have one paragraph in
their complaint suggesting a claim for breach of contract, but he limited the breach of
contract claim to their allegation that under the fee agreement you would not take any
money without paying the Grovers under your retainer agreement. That is the only breach
of contract claim.  If you look at the retainer agreement attached, I don't think it says
that (paragraph 1) . What it says is that if the case is settled, you can take your fee
and pay costs. However they are arguing that the whole case had to be settled before you
took any fee.

Even if that were the case, then you should have been able to receive
the 53,093 at the end
of the case after they lost to Timpanogos (either under P&M's agreement or your agreement.)
and they would've had to pay the costs.  In other words, I think we have the stronger
argument here. And, if we win, we will  be able to assert a claim for attorny's fees.
But if they win, they also have that right.

However, because the court allowed them to assert this claim for breach of contract ruled
that he would allow me to conduct more limited discovery before trial if I think I needed to.
Upon first glance of the issue, I don't think I need any additional discovery. But I wanted
to run this by you guys. Let me know your thoughts as soon as possible.  He also said he
might consider bumping the trial if I tell him why I need to for this new claim. but I think
if it is limited to that issue.  I don't think 'll be able to convince him to bump the trial
unless I simply demand it.

I would like your thoughts.
Micah Ritchie | Lesch, Lesch and Doyle | 131 Estevan Fall | North Tamia City, 84165-6693
Direct: (379) 961-8813 | Facsimile: (379) 961-8813 | www.cfgt.com.au | vCard
This email is from a law firm and may contain privileged or confidential information.
Any unauthorized disclosure, distribution, or other use of this email and its contents
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and
delete this email. Thank you.