[Kde-java] Java 1.5, KWin and rolled windows

Cesar Martinez Izquierdo cesar.martinez at iver.es
Mon Jul 23 12:37:15 CEST 2007

Hello list.
We are migrating our open source GIS client from Java 1.4 to Java 1.5,
but we are getting a strange behaviour with 1.5 version under KDE.
When we create Java windows (JDialogs) from our application, they
randomly are displayed in rolled up mode. Then, if we click on the
window's kwin menu, we can see that the "rolled up" feature is selected.
If we de-select this feature, sometimes the window gets correctly
restored, but sometimes it remains rolled up (and sometimes the window
decorations disappear and the window contents gets maximized, filling
the full screen).

We didn't have this problem with Java 1.4, and we don't have it with
Java 1.5 in Gnome or Windows. Maybe it's a Java bug, or a KWin's bug
which is triggered by our application (or maybe there are bugs on both
sides). We have tried with different KDE versions (from quite old
Ubuntus to the lastest 04.07 Feisty).

The bug even appears in the JFileChooser, which is a window directly
created by Java, so I don't think we are doing something strange during
window creation. But it's a bit puzzling that I couldn't find similar
problems at Google.

- Have you ever heard a similar bug?
- (As a workaround) Is there a way to disable rolled windows in KWin?

Any idea is appreciated.

  Regards,

--
César Martínez Izquierdo